http://www.aussielocker.com
Rausch Creek and Aoaa. 9/20-22

Author Topic: Rausch Creek and Aoaa. 9/20-22  (Read 3137 times)

Offline s0l0ithz

Rausch Creek and Aoaa. 9/20-22
« on: September 22, 2019, 08:04:28 PM »
I joined the  OG(Old Guy) crew of Finger Lakes 4x4 and   descended upon Rausch Creek Friday to set up camp. After I set up Mark showed up and after a few min of walking around decided that we could get a spot closer to were the staff campers are set up. I got a few strange looks as I drove my car trailer to the new spot with my tent setup on it. Once repositioned, fired up the grill and made a nice steak dinner while Mark whipped up some PBJ for himself. About 2 hours later we had a fire roaring and Scott showed up in a very pristine Jeep GLADIATOR. A little after Scott had his camping situation under control and Jeff arrived with his 2 furry companions. We enjoyed great company around the fire.
     The next morning I arouse about 7am and decided to take the lead on cooking breakfast , Jeff soon jumped in and started to help cook and we were soon eating breakfast burritos. Promptly around 845 Dennis showed up with his Tracker. We all checked in at the office. And decided to hit green and blue trails on the northeast property.  Mark took the lead  and I brought up the rear. As we are going up and down the trails Scott was starting to get used to his new Gladiator handle. We were covering good ground when Mark tool an off chute and radioed to Scott that he should not turn down the trail...... too late Scott did not have his ears on  and was about half way up some rocky terrain when Mark hopped out and helped spot him to the top and told him to take the bailout just ahead on the right. Please ask him for more details pertaining to the bailout. After that bit of trail we finally realized Scott was at his limit for trail toughness.We also made sure he had a working radio.We backed off to a few more green trails,until Mark found one that was rated a black and Jeff asked if it was "stock friendly"  I stated only way to find out start into it and worst case it turn around.  So I went up and found a nice boulder to play on for a few moments and advised Scott to not go that way but take an easier way through some smaller rocks. Im not sure of the mame on the trail but it should have definitely  been rated a blue with a 50ft black loop instead. As we came to another trail intersection Mark jumped ahaed to investigate how hard it would be for most in the group. He radioed to have the stock guys pull ahead and I went on to play on a ledge for a few minutes. While heading back towards the main property, another trail marked black was encountered and Mark drove right in and I was close on his heals when I stopped and offered Jeff a passanger seat for some hard black trail seat time. As I crested over a  very tall pointy rock my front tires found  a very deep hole. With the Rubicon lockers engaged I clawed my way to the end of the trail to realize I had to turn around and go back through it as the exit was a lot worse and would have caused significant body damage. Mark advised to just go back the way I came. It took a while and just near the trail head Gravity grabbed my jeep and lurched it into a rock so both front were in the air and the steering linkage was holding up the jeeps front weight. Mark and scott walked into help with some dangerous recovery using a high lift to lift tire amd shove rocks under the tire to get the weight off my drag link. Success was made and I escaped a trail that should have been marked a RED due to the huge holes on the other side of the rocks that were hidden by grass. With my steering shot and it being 4pm we stopped to help another group with a jeep that had just been running through puddles and mud holes to fast and took in water. DENNIS came to the rescue to help the fellow wheeler but was not successful in getting it started. He advise to drag it to camp and look more there. We made it back to camp ,Dennis loaded up and headed back ti his hotel for dinner.  The OG group cooked and had another great nite around the fire. Thanks for the great memories made this weekend. Im sure Mark can fill in the trails we ran.

Online Wingman

• Administrator
Re: Rausch Creek and Aoaa. 9/20-22
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 08:44:10 PM »
The Sunday morning sun was bright and the weather was warm for another day of OG (Old Guy) wheelin'. After a leisurely cold breakfast was eaten, we all packed our gear up, bid Tom and the broken Rubicon farewell, and headed to AOAA.

We covered many of the perimeter trails and nearly all of the blue trails on the north side of the main road on the Eastern Preserve but left the mud trails to that ilk. After lunch, we made our way over to Barney Rubble and worked our way up after waiting for some downhill traffic to clear. No mechanical carnage to report.

Back to the parking lot and pulling out by 3p, we had an uneventful drive back to the old folks home.  :D

Online Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 08:59:47 PM »
RC trails: N1, N2, X2, 34, 37, 32, X4, X3, 40, T, Tip Top, T6, K, 39, K2, N3, L2, R1, R, 41, N4

AOAA trails: 5A, 4, 4A, 3, 6, 7, 9, 20, BA Ext (33), BA (34), Excalibur (35), 41, 45, Barney Rubble (49)

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 09:40:01 AM »
I waved at Wingman's trailer in the AOAA lot around 10am on Sunday. Seeing the door closed, I didn't duck in.

I was heading home from the Line Mountain 7 miler where I supported (meaning sat around and relaxed) our friends Canadian Karl and Doctor Jim. This was Karl's second race since rebuilding his car to an IFS machine, and he came in 5th in class after an intentionally conservative race. He sealed up the engine bay a bit too well and had some overheating issues on his last lap, but it was as clean under the hood as he had hoped. Some adjustments to ventilation will be made. That conservative pace kept all tires up, and he and his wife and codriver Sherry finished clean without any other issues.

Jim Widmaier was leading series points in A class on the way into the race, and with only 2 of the other expected-to-be fast cars in attendance (Josh Blyler and Chad Owens, who finished 1-2) he had a solid shot at keeping that place. He and codriver Colton (his daughter's boyfriend) were running 4th in class in each of the first 3 laps, but during the 4th and last 8-mile lap, the threaded stud that captures the piston between each rod of the double-ended steering ram sheared, and put his car out of commission. There was some miscommunication regarding where on course he was, so Tim and Neal took a while to deliver a spare ram and tools from the pits, and he finished his 4th lap outside the 3.25 hour time limit. That put him in 10th of 10 in class A, and 5th in series points for the year. Disaponting, but the car drove back to pits and other than at least 3 dead tires being kept up by tireballs, the car seemed no worse for wear.

I had a smooth ride down and back in the Wonder Wagon, and Titan even let me sleep. It's a bit of a crowd in back with both of us, but it worked out just fine and I'd do it again. Not at all like trying to sleep in the Ram with him. It does have me thinking about a rooftop tent that could be swapped between the wagon, the Ram, or whatever other smaller-than-Joe rigs might be adventured in.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline s0l0ithz

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 10:26:26 PM »
Some photos

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=3904.0