http://www.m4wdfabrications.com/
Rausch Creek 5/18

Author Topic: Rausch Creek 5/18  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
Rausch Creek 5/18
« on: May 19, 2019, 07:46:02 PM »
I left home late Friday afternoon and met up with Dennis in the Gang Mills rest area on I-99 to convoy the remainder of the trip. A stop at Mansfield Wendy's for food and then Elysburg Sheets for fuel had us arriving uneventfully at RC about 10p. Night accommodations were assembled under a full moon and we both turned in shortly after 11p. Caleb and Harry/Hannah arrived within the next couple of hours and commenced their nightly slumber.

Saturday dawned beautifully and breakfast consumption and trail rig pack/prep were completed. The four of us hit the comp course and I promptly found a lockout hub malfunctioning. We returned to camp where the hub was repaired in fairly short order. Off again, we ran some of C trail and looped back around to Trail 5, ending up at Trail 5 Hillclimb. There was a pretty good crowd there but we worked our way through and up, each taking a different line. Harry and Caleb both were successful on the far right side. After some encouragement, Dennis tried the center route and nearly made it when his front intermediate driveshaft broke. the front drive slugs were removed and we returned to camp for assessment and lunch. Dennis began removal of the offending part, lunch was munched, and the operable rigs set back out again. Jeff was just pulling in so he quickly parked and hopped into my passenger seat. Rolling again, we ran all of Rock Creek, Otters, and Trail 20. Feeling pretty beat up, we returned to camp to check on Dennis' progess and plan the remainder of the evening. About an hour later, and with Dennis repaired, we made our way to Jotters where Harry broke the front t-case output yoke. With no viable spare, he and Hannah took A trail back to camp and gathered some firewood along the way. Caleb, Dennis, and Jeff/I moseyed over to Stair Step, where there was a group from NJ trying a few lines. Jeff/I pointed up the middle while Caleb tried the left and Dennis bumped up the right side. I was working at trying to bump over a boulder I was high-centered on when the Willys fell off the right side and performed a slow motion flop into a tree. No injuries and a quick recovery by Dennis and Caleb set us right again. However, in that process, Dennis again broke the intermediate shaft. Caleb handled the little tug that Dennis needed to get down from the steps and again, we aimed ourselves back to camp to "lick our wounds". We stopped to watch a group of "steel soldiers" (M35s) play on the comp course and then gather for a group photo. Back at camp, a dinner feast of BBQ pork, Italian sausage, chicken, cheese burgers, beans, corn, and Oreos was devoured, the campfire lit, and a relaxed evening under the nearly full moon was enjoyed.

After a surprisingly restful night, Sunday morning showed itself hazy and misty. With rain in the forecast, we all leisurely packed our belongings and loaded our bent and broken junk onto/into our trailers. Then Caleb and Hannah made a huge breakfast of bacon, sausage, Canadian bacon, hash browns, eggs, cheese, and fresh strawberries. So much deliciousness!

We eventually said our goodbyes and parted ways for home.

In spite of the carnage, we all had a great time of wheeling, wrenching, feasting, and fellowship!

Harry/Hannah
Caleb
Dennis S
Mark/Jeff

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Re: Rausch Creek 5/18
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 08:24:22 PM »
Sounds like some evaluation might be needed on that intermediate shaft. Will consult for beer ;)

Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 06:59:51 AM »

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 07:02:13 AM by Wingman »

Offline xjh3

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 08:51:42 AM »
Great write up, Mark! Broken parts or not, always a good time with you guys!
97 XJ on tons
95 2500 Cummins

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=3881.msg31600