http://www.treadlightly.org/
Field and Forest 10/12-14

Author Topic: Field and Forest 10/12-14  (Read 5869 times)

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
Field and Forest 10/12-14
« on: September 05, 2018, 01:23:07 PM »
Is there any interest in Field and Forest? This is an open weekend and tickets tend to sell quickly...

http://2018openweekend.ezregister.com

WHAT: Field & Forest trip
WHEN: October 12-14, 2018
WHERE: Field and Forest Recreation Area, Harrisville, NH 03450
MEETING TIME: when you get there
MEETING PLACE: at the park
CB CHANNEL: FRS radio
RESTRICTIONS: see their site for vehicle requirements
COST: $70/veh & driver, $30/passenger - 3 days wheelin, 2 nights camping
CAMPING: on-site = mostly primitive, campgrounds and hotels nearby

Info: http://www.fieldandforestnh.com/     http://2018openweekend.ezregister.com

The List:
Tom
Mike
Harry/Hannah
Reid
Caleb
Keith
me
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:29:22 AM by Wingman »

Offline s0l0ithz

Re: Field and Forest 10/11-14
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 05:32:11 PM »
Have to check about time off what day are you heading there?

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 09:55:15 AM »
Just covering the green, blue, and black trails can be done in a day or two depending on the group. Arrive Friday evening, wheel Saturday and Sunday morning?

I'm not committed, waiting on interest...

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 09:15:12 AM »
Registered. Let's do this!

Offline s0l0ithz

Re: Field and Forest 10/12-14
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 03:32:28 PM »
Let's go!  Im registered!

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 09:59:47 AM »
Tickets are still available...

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 02:15:38 PM »
seats available?
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 02:40:12 PM »
seats available?

Always. Property is very walking/spectating friendly too.

Offline s0l0ithz

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 12:42:00 PM »
This place is awesome. I will be back. May need to find a willing co driver that can scale mountains to pull cable and leave a key rock on the under cut ledges!
     The drive to 42°56'36.72"N, 72° 0'46.97 was by far the easiest drive to a 4x4 destination  I have ever been to. As we got closer to Albany We had one of our travel mates say they left home with no real food or BOOTS!? i suggested before we got to far from route 90 that we look for a WallyWorld (Walmart for those not in the know). We found one some where just outside of Albany. We shopped for some boots and then hit up Subway conveniently located in Walmart for some lunch. We sate on the back of my rolling picnic table and enjoyed some short conversation. Driving through Troy was a congested fiasco with passenger vehicles passing on sidewalks and across double yellow lines just to get in front of a pickup with a trailer to sit in a line of traffic. The view of Vermont and New Hampshire was some of the best scenery I've seen while driving in a very long time. The leaves on the trees that had not yet dropped were all changed to vibrant Reds,Orange ,and Yellows. When we arrived we checked in with one of the camps owners at the registration Hut. Mark spotted Caleb my(4x4 cousin from Connecticut).We circled around the camp ground and pulled up next to his rig and trailer. Mark mentioned we could wheel and Caleb said we can be on the trails to midnight. We unloaded set up camp and hit  Russ's Ridge in the dark Friday night! Friday night we had load of fire wood delivered and we hung out with some new friends around a fire. Through out the night more members from our group showed up.  Saturday we got up had an awesome breakfast in the rain. When it finally broke enough to decide it was safe I wasn't going to MELT we went wheeling. Started out on Russ's ridge (green) which lead us to Trail 4(blue). it was at the High Point of this the drag link decided it had enough stress of being married to the steering box and Snapped! IT was when Mark was telling me to turn More driver and the steering wheel just kept turning with no stopping that i knew something was not right! Mark was only a few feet away and never heard it let loose while snapping a solid drag link on the Tj. After some Careful clutch engagement and some winching I got it off to one side of the trail. At the same time i was busy breaking Caleb was snapping d60 shafts on his Cherokee. Reid said he would help Caleb and I get back to camp.As we started this fun journey, Caleb also blew a hub lock out on the opposite side as his broken shaft and only had 2 wheel drive. Suddenly I felt more like Gilligan the  half an hour back to camp turned to two hours. After lots of winching we finally got Caleb to a spot he could mostly drive out of. Reid let me Drive his TJ Buggy back to camp following Caleb as he spotted. Caleb put out a feeler on Facebook looking for a shaft and found one. I made my way to the great town of Keene to get to the auto Parts store only to have them hand me two wrong parts even though I verified the numbers on their screen. Upon returning to camp I found Everyone was back and enjoying Lunch  or wrenching on Caleb's ride to get him back and going. Kieth and Mark took me back to my jeep with parts and tools on hand to replace the drag link on the trail and continue to wheel. by the time we got back to camp it was just about dark so we started cooking. Mark made the decision to run another mild trail for Field and Forrest called Lake trail/Pete's Pass. Lake trail was a great trail that followed the small lake on the property. witch led us to Pete's Pass..... After talking to the two other TJ owners in the group I was up to go first. I rolled up to the first good ledge and immediately had cable pulled to drag me up instead of fighting it forever. this proved a smart idea as the next in line did not have a winch and needed it to make it up to the point  I was at. The next TJ did the same as I and pulled cable pretty quickly to not mess around as it was already 2pm on Sunday and we need to get back to camp to pickup camp and load the jeeps to head back home

The trail rating here is definitely one level low. If they say green its a blue, blue are black and so forth. I walked one obstacle of a red and could not see a line at all as the rock was taller than my 5'11" frame. As with all of these trips the friendships  from all hose that go is incredible. Met some new people and had awesome breakfast. Thanks to Mark for the use of his trailer.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 08:15:12 PM by s0l0ithz »

Offline Crusarius

• Club Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 12:04:19 PM »
Was definitely a good time. Met a great group of people.

I agree with Tom about the trail ratings. I am sure if I had bigger tires it would not be as challenging. Unfortunately the 35's are the small tires out there. So when you get someone on 40's trying to get up something, it tends to leave some pretty big holes that are not easy to get past. The mud is very slippery and pretty much puts you where it wants you to go.

The property owner does not believe in bypasses so that pretty much makes a winch a necessity. Especially with most trails being one way.

Good news, the chrome bumpers survived yet another hard core outing :)

I did not take any pictures this time, I was having to much fun just being out there. Maybe next time I decide to go I will drive the tow rig, let someone else drive the trail rig and I can get the camera out. It's been a while since I have gotten any good wheeling pictures.

Offline s0l0ithz

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 06:38:07 PM »
It just so happens I have a few photos from this trip!

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=3859.msg31493