http://www.4wd.com
Sturgis KY OffRoad Blow out Ultra4 regional qualifier 2015 Trip Report

Author Topic: Sturgis KY OffRoad Blow out Ultra4 regional qualifier 2015 Trip Report  (Read 4172 times)

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
I finally have my tow rig and trailer dialed in that we can confidently travel anywere with two race prepped cars and be fully self sufficient.  This time Matt and I headed down to KY thrusday at about 11am to meet Matt's brother joe who was heading from PA.  We had worked hard on the cars and got everything prepped the week prior.  Two long wasteful stops for fuel at truck stops (i hate truck stops) and then wonderful pot hole roads I lost the Rams light bar from the headache rack.  Lastly about an hour before reaching the track we blew a 19.5 on the trailer that got changed out and we arrived.  Found a good pit spot and crashed for some sleep. 

Because of the time zone change we actually gained an hour, but still the 9:30 drivers meeting came quick.  Practice was open 10 - 2 and then qualifying at 2:30.  Results of practice:  Matts car running hot, my car blew long side inner RCV 300m shaft.  not a great start.  We fill matts car back with water and took me 2 hours to pull both front sides apart to extract broken bits.  spare RCV installed, no inner axle seal available.  I qualified last, and Matt 3rd from last.  lots of HP guys here and it was showing again.  we knew we were still in it though with strong cars. 

Race day came- we were both in the first prelim.  6 laps.  I believe on lap 4 i got stuck in the woods and Matt popped his radiator over flow.  we both got towed out.  The semi was determined to be the last race before the main with no LCQ.  cars were dropping like flys.  we finished the semis strong.  starting in the main towards the back we knew 12 laps would test cars cooling and much more.  right around lap 8 the leader wadded in the woods causing a red flag to restart the race.  This was great for us to let both cars cooling systems catch up.  we restarted and finished the main in 15th and 16th place over all. 

the 928 car got the 6th qualifying koh spot and the 572 car got the 7th koh qualifying spot!

uneventful ride home left KY at 8am and back to Rochester by 10:30 pm
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:03:09 AM by smichaelR22 »
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=3653.0;prev_next=next