http://www.sharetrails.org
Thinking of getting a HID kit?

Author Topic: Thinking of getting a HID kit?  (Read 5567 times)

Yukoneer

Thinking of getting a HID kit?
« on: May 04, 2008, 11:43:46 PM »
Doo it!!

I just installed a HID kit on my car :toast:

Pictures at: http://www.yukoneer.com/hid/

My car has projectors on it, and I just installed HIDs on it, there\'s an AMAZING difference on how you view the road now.  

I certainly do NOT recommend installing HIDs on cars that do not have projector headlights.

ericautopart

Re: Thinking of getting a HID kit?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 07:55:30 PM »
Can you still switch to hi beams w/ the HID\'s?  I\'ve got a Milan which is the same as your car and I\'ve been contemplating this.

Yukoneer

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
yes, my high beams are separate and using sylvania silverstar H1 bulbs.  

My low beams (HID) stay on if I go on high beams, all 4 lights on the same time - BRIGHT.  That\'s how it was configured in my car from the factory with the highs/lows on the same time during high beam...

To be honest, I rarely use the high beams anymore, don\'t find the need for it yet since the HID is so clear and crisp.

ericautopart

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 10:02:23 PM »
I\'m going to have to look into this..I think it costs about 140 to do now right?

Yukoneer

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 11:38:40 AM »
I paid $85+ shipping on eBay for my 4300k Apexcone kit. It was a best offer that was surprisingly accepted by the seller.

I think 140 is the going rate for those Apexcones.  I recommend the Apexcone kit - good quality stuff.

Offline Doppleganger

• Dopple's Place to Host Pictures
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 08:34:09 AM »
Yes, keep in mind about what Yook said about having projectors.  It\'s always a gamble when you drop an HID kit into anything that is not specifially meant for HID.

Sometimes you get good results like he did, sometimes you get CRAP results like this:

That is an HID kit (H3) in projectors.  Crappy projectors.  They\'re not dangerous, as the cutoff is still sharp, but the beam pattern is pretty horrible.  I retrofitted a pair of REAL BMW (Bosch e46 single xenon) projectors into the headlights, and got this:

See the difference?

As far as high beams... yea the silverstars will give you a closer color match to the HID\'s, but these bulbs will give you MORE light output:

( http://autolumination.com/headlights.htm )

I use those in my high beams, as shown here:

The camera really doesn\'t capture all of it, either, as the bright HID\'s are still on.

But, yea, if you do convert yours, don\'t go any higher color temp than 4300K, you\'ll lose light, and be a real cop-magnet.  Any bluer than that color, and the light scatters off of wet roads, and the roads become pretty dark.
-Jay
doppleganger871@yahoo.com
Doppleganger's Home Page
Vehicular Vehicles:  1994 Bronco, 302/E4OD, 4" Lift, 4.56 Gears, Posis, 33" Tires.  2002 Jeep WJ, 4.7L, Cat&Back, K&N FIPK2, JetStg2.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=353.0;prev_next=prev