TECHNICAL FORUMS > Project Builds

Willys MB build

(1/27) > >>

Wingman:
The secret build revealed!

Some know that I've been shopping for "random" parts and asking unusual questions that would lead one to believe that a super-secret project was afoot.  Those who had to be made privy were sworn to secrecy.  A heavy burden...

After much reading, image reviewing, and deliberation, I think I've finally come to the conclusion that my next project will be a ground-up custom Willys MB build, for "wreck" and road only.  I've always loved the reputation and appearance of the WW2 Willys Jeep.  Not quite buggy status (I'll probably regret this later) but a build that will only use the grille and hood from the real thing.  The body dimensions will remain intact with a slight front clip extension to make room for the drivetrain.  The goal is to remain small and as lightweight as possible and keep all of the look of an American classic.  While not a thorough-bred, a tribute none the less.  May have to add some real bullet holes, err, I mean, speed holes.

Couple of inspirational pics:

Starting points:
D44 front w/RCVs
Ford 9' HP rear
D300 t-case
5.3 aluminum LS
4L60E
4-link rear?
3-link front?
coilovers?
flat belly ~20"
2x4 box frame
integrated full cage
tin body panels
36-37" tire/wheel combo
full hydro steering
~86-87" wheel base
dropped seating
lower windshield and cage height
low COG
road legal

Think "big kid's go-cart" (borrowed phrase)

Always open to words of encouragement, criticism, tech wisdom, and heckling.

So, there it is.  Now to collect some more parts, tools, material, and ambition...

MrMindless:

I see what you're after with the lighter axles and case but for the price of a RCV'd 44 you could probably be close to a 9" front running stock or cromo 60 shafts. Lighter and stronger than the 44.

Nobody should ever use a 44 in something it isn't already under :)

Tapatalking in traffic

Wingman:
One of the few OEM pieces arrived today

jACeL86:
I'll only heckle out of jealousy.  :D

Wingman:
Steel delivery...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version