TECHNICAL FORUMS > General Tech

brake question

(1/3) > >>

vince1976:
I kept loosing pedal on the trail the other day.  I would either be on a pitch or the front end raised due to climbing rocks and such.  That seemed to be when it happened the most.  The pedal would go all the way to the floor.  It would come back when the truck returned to level.  I have checked all connections and the fluid resevoir is at the same level (full).  I will bleed the brakes when I get a second body.  My concern and question is since I have converted to disc brakes in the rear doI need to chage the proportiong valve since it was originally for Disc/drum.  Any help or other suggestions appreciated.

2001 tj
60 front
14 bolt rear

thanks,Vince

Wingman:
If you converted to disc from drum, you need to switch prop valves because of a residual pressure valve inside.

vince1976:
Hey Mark,

Would this be the culprit to loose pressure at cetrain times.  Also, do you have any idea of what valve to get?  Also, I have given up on the tire issue as from what I have read there is not much I can do. I have talked to others who have said when the tire folds like mine it is because it is stiff, cold and new.  Hence, why running more air prevents the folding and pulling off the rim.  I bought an expensive set of trailready/swamper fake beadlocks.

smichaelR22:
what MC do you have?  stock TJ will not be up to the task with tons. 

if you have brakes and then you dont- id be suspect of loose wheel bearings or deflecting caliper brackets?

regardless of what people say about proportioning valves, they are a hoax in 4x4 rock crawling. 

high speed truway panic stop yes you will want closer to 70/30 braking power front/rear.  off road it doesnt matter. 

vince1976:
Yup, Stock TJ cylinder.  And yes the situation is I have brakes and now I do not.  What are my options for converting to a 1 ton cylinder with ease of conversion.  I am pretty sure no bearings are loose.  What do mean by deflecting caliper brackets so I can check on that one.

Thanks

Vince

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version