https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/
CB wiring help needed

Author Topic: CB wiring help needed  (Read 10258 times)

Offline jaysenodell

CB wiring help needed
« on: June 19, 2013, 09:31:59 AM »
Trying to get what is clearly engine noise out of the CB. I had + right to battery and GND to the "in tub" side of the post connected directly to the battery - terminal (checked for continuity). Still get a wicked hum when the engine is running. Replaced antenna mount (was rested and likely shorted based on continuity)(antenna is a firestik). Tried a portable antenna. no better.

I have removed all the previous wiring (quite a stress reliever) and will be staring over tonight. My plan:
1. 14G stranded direct to battery
2. no connectors other than fuse on positive and socket to allow CB removal (keyed to ensure polarity).
3. Newer rj58 w/ pl258 connectors for CB to antenna.

Any other suggestions or obvious things I need to look for?
Mid Life Crisis in the making -- '02 TJ i4 manual, Aussie Locker magic pulling from the front

Offline AWL4928

Re: CB wiring help needed
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:42:01 AM »
If you don't get this sorted out we can help you out down at Rausch this weekend.

Offline AWL4928

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »
Also be mindful of any cb related wires that run near ignition components like distributors coils plug wires etc.

Offline jaysenodell

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:51:09 AM »
Thanks! I know I won't have the antenna tuned, but the CB was a cheap walmart buy (sorry, a better one in in the plans) and wanted to save that for a real unit. The son and I are trying to make sure we are legit for the weekend before we leave.

I'm hoping that the problem stems from reusing old wiring (aftermarket lights that were "removed" by previous owner). I'll throw my electrical tools in the tool bag. Probably a good idea anyway.
Mid Life Crisis in the making -- '02 TJ i4 manual, Aussie Locker magic pulling from the front

Offline AWL4928

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 10:22:01 AM »
I can tune it for you this weekend.  Its easy

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 11:03:57 AM »
You'll probably need a filter on the power lead. Noisy alternator or coil are the usual culprits.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline jaysenodell

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 11:09:14 AM »
You'll probably need a filter on the power lead. Noisy alternator or coil are the usual culprits.
Typically an electrolytic cap? Or would a choke be preferred?

I have 24v and 64v caps (power supply projects) and various ferrite core chokes. Anythign specific I should be looking for?

Also assuming inline installation on + for both...

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 02:02:16 PM »
you could try a ferrite choke, not sure you'd see any improvement. I've never looked at a schematic, not sure what they really are but maybe looking at 'em could give you an idea.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/cb-radio-noise-filter
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline jaysenodell

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 02:07:29 PM »
Ironically, those appear to be both ferrite chokes and capacitors. Hmmm...

Offline jaysenodell

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 11:49:12 AM »
Looks like I'll be needing some assistance. Current status:
1. Direct wire to battery (cb outside, antenna mounted on TJ) noise reduced to constant pitch.
2. Tried some filters... no help.
3. Wired through firewall noise persists (still direct to battery).
4. Checked for ground continuity to antenna.
5. Validated no short on antenna connection.
6. Since I was unable to detect any change based on location or wiring, I mounted the sucker and left all wiring long.

I'm hoping I'm missing something obvious and it will be an easy fix. Let me know what I need to bring with me.

Offline AWL4928

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 12:17:59 PM »
Bring you and your jeep.  I have the rest just swapped my Cb and tuned it last night.   If its a constant tone.  Try turning down the squelch so the radio isn't constantly keyed on.   See you tomorrow!

Offline jaysenodell

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 01:12:58 PM »
Squelch at 50% kills the noise. Also kills any signal we were monitoring. Planning to go sit near i90 to see if we can get anything with the engine running.

I know the Jeep will be there. And since I'm the only one allowed to drive it, I'll be there! Looking forward to the experience.

TruckStar

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 07:31:47 AM »
When I noticed thattypical noise of alternator, I tried fixing the part itself, though nothing helped. Tried out replacing the inner bearing in the piece, still no luck. Also replaced brushes, but that was where my patience ended. So I went ahead and purchased a brand new alternator and this was my third attempt to fight with the issue. But when I put the belt back for third time, I was glad that everything went ok.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=3254.msg27850