TECHNICAL FORUMS > General Tech

CB wiring help needed

(1/3) > >>

jaysenodell:
Trying to get what is clearly engine noise out of the CB. I had + right to battery and GND to the "in tub" side of the post connected directly to the battery - terminal (checked for continuity). Still get a wicked hum when the engine is running. Replaced antenna mount (was rested and likely shorted based on continuity)(antenna is a firestik). Tried a portable antenna. no better.

I have removed all the previous wiring (quite a stress reliever) and will be staring over tonight. My plan:
1. 14G stranded direct to battery
2. no connectors other than fuse on positive and socket to allow CB removal (keyed to ensure polarity).
3. Newer rj58 w/ pl258 connectors for CB to antenna.

Any other suggestions or obvious things I need to look for?

AWL4928:
If you don't get this sorted out we can help you out down at Rausch this weekend.

AWL4928:
Also be mindful of any cb related wires that run near ignition components like distributors coils plug wires etc.

jaysenodell:
Thanks! I know I won't have the antenna tuned, but the CB was a cheap walmart buy (sorry, a better one in in the plans) and wanted to save that for a real unit. The son and I are trying to make sure we are legit for the weekend before we leave.

I'm hoping that the problem stems from reusing old wiring (aftermarket lights that were "removed" by previous owner). I'll throw my electrical tools in the tool bag. Probably a good idea anyway.

AWL4928:
I can tune it for you this weekend.  Its easy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version