http://www.4wd.com
Beadlock wheel advice

Author Topic: Beadlock wheel advice  (Read 4184 times)

Offline dsmith

Beadlock wheel advice
« on: June 06, 2016, 09:01:18 AM »
Finally realizing I need to upgrade to Beadlock wheels, new or used?, but could really use some advice please.  Suggestions and recommendations appreciated!  Thanks, Dennis

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Re: Beadlock wheel advice
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 09:07:42 AM »
This is on the Tracker, right? Looking for 15s?
I've never done it myself but a few members have done the weld-on kits for steel wheels. A few have had reasonably good success, a few have sworn off doing it ever again. I guess your mileage may vary.

I'm not sure what options are out there in smaller bolt patterns and smaller sizes but I'm truly impressed by the value of the KMCs that Smike and I both run. You saw what it took to actually damage one at Batavia - and it's a LOT :)

I've bought mine through sunfire offroad. No relation, just two successful purchases at the best price found a year or so ago.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
Re: Beadlock wheel advice
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 10:27:41 AM »
Welcome to the site!

At the suggestion of Harrison (xjh3), I ordered and installed Total Metal Innovations product on 16" Ford factory steel wheels.  I liked their anti-coning feature.  Proper prep and careful welding, along with leak testing, yielded an airtight and strong result.  I did have them blasted and powder coated which likely helped any little imperfections too.  I also put a bead of silicone between the rubber and the ring.

Still holding pressure
Not trail-tested yet, don't foresee any issues
Adds a fair amount of mass and weight to each

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=3254.0;prev_next=next