https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/
Rusty's adjustable LCA w/ forged flex end

Author Topic: Rusty's adjustable LCA w/ forged flex end  (Read 5606 times)

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
Rusty's adjustable LCA w/ forged flex end
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »
I installed Rusty's lower control arms (RC-CA411-UV) in 2010 on the front of my Rubicon.  I installed a second set on the rear in 2011.

While initially pleased with the form and function of these units, they have been troublesome in the last year.  I abuse them pretty badly, though.

They designed these units so that the lower axle mount uses the same rubber bushing that the OEM used.  It is encased in a steel sleeve.  While not indestructible, they tolerate a lot.  It is the steel that takes a majority of the abuse because it is the lowest part. 

The upper frame joint is the cast "forged flex end".  The design is simple.  The casting encases a steel "ball" surrounded by a split poly-type bushing.  Preload is achieved by a threaded washer.

The forged end is my dissatisfaction/failure point on more than one unit.

First, the poly bushings won't maintain preload through one wheeling trip.  By the second adjustment, they are maxed out and will need to be replaced.  Replacements are available at $14 + shipping for each end.

Second, I've bent the forging itself.  It was not a significant hit but it was right on the threaded edge of the casting.  The forging is very thin in this area.  I was able to remove the threaded washer but this caused damage to the threads in the casting and there was no way to re-insert the washer after rebuild.  The end was scrapped and a new end obtained at $39 + shipping.

While not difficult to rebuild the flex ends, I'm about to order Ruffstuff heims to replace these ends.  While slightly more expensive, they survive on racing buggies so they should be just fine with my little Jeep.  I just don't think I should be so adept at R&R on these LCAs.

I'll give them a 6 out of 10.

Rating: (1= dont waste the money, 10= Super deal)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:02:51 PM by Wingman »

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Re: Rusty's adjustable LCA w/ forged flex end
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 10:45:49 AM »
That seems a generous rating for the issues with the flex joints.

Big heims definitely seem to be the way to go if you can put up with the little rattle and squeak that they can sometimes give.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=3002.0;prev_next=prev