http://www.sharetrails.org
Camping in the Fingerlakes Area

Author Topic: Camping in the Fingerlakes Area  (Read 5117 times)

motormayhem

Camping in the Fingerlakes Area
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:28:42 PM »
Hey all,
I posted up here around the beginning of last year. I go to cornell and have a M1009 CUCV back home. Didn\'t work out bringing it up here last year so I didnt get out at all. But this year I have a \'97 Dodge 2500 4x4 longbed. Not exactly ideal for wheeling but still capable of getting out in the forest. My question is where are some good places to go camping. I don\'t want to camp in a site with a bunch of other people who are car camping.  Ideally I would like to find somewhere out in the woods that has some dirt roads to explore or some cool things to see where I can just find a place to pull off and camp away from other people. Im located in Ithaca, but willing to go 1-2 hours out if its good.

Here is a pic of the new rig:

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Re: Camping in the Fingerlakes Area
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 12:08:50 PM »
I feel sorry for an AZ truck spending a winter in NY!

There\'s not much in the way of what you\'re looking for around NY that I\'m aware of.  Maybe up in the Adirondaks but I\'m sure it\'s still mostly campsite camping unless you\'re hiking in.

Hopefully someone more familiar will chime in.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

motormayhem

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 03:56:03 PM »
Ya I think it has seen more than a years worth of rain in AZ here in the last month. It has literally 0 rust anywhere on it, not even on the leaf springs.

Is there anywhere that just over the border in PA, or some camping areas that are less popular or more remote or just on a dirt road?

99superjeep

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 01:38:06 AM »
check out east otto state forest. it\'s southwest of springville and i\'ve been there a couple times and there\'s a few dirt roads that have free camping sites on them. in that area there\'s also zoar valley. the southern part of erie county has a few state forests that i\'ve heard have a few decent trails but haven\'t been on any to confirm.

99superjeep

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 01:40:53 AM »
and if you\'re out in ithaca buttermilk falls isn\'t to far away for you.

motormayhem

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 01:38:36 PM »
Hopefully I\'ll have some time to go check these places out before it gets too cold. I went to buttermilk a few weekends ago, pretty cool area, but not very remote, cool nonetheless.  Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Offline etk300ex

• Club Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 07:15:45 AM »
Are you ready to go back yet? haha
06 Frontier 4x4
03 Ram CCLB 4x4
84 Viking truck camper
92 Toyota Truggy gone
Mountain bikes, it's cheaper and smaller

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2623.0;prev_next=next