http://www.sharetrails.org
Regearing in Upstate? (Ithaca)

Author Topic: Regearing in Upstate? (Ithaca)  (Read 5861 times)

NY4Runner

Regearing in Upstate? (Ithaca)
« on: June 09, 2011, 02:52:43 PM »
Hey guys,

Just stumbled upon this website. Didn\'t really know there was that much of an offroad following here in the fingerlakes. My question is:

Does anyone know of a reputable shop in this area that could do regearing? I\'m looking at getting an old toyota 4runner from a guy I know, and I would need to put some taller gears in there. (i know, i know, im a toyota guy, and Im sure lots of guys here are jeep guys, but we all like going offroad haha)

I\'m not technically handy enough to do it myself, so it would have to be done by a shop. Anybody have any good advice or shops in mind?

Thanks!

Zach

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Re: Regearing in Upstate? (Ithaca)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 03:14:17 PM »
We\'re far from a Jeep club here, glad you found us.

A couple of us know how to do gear setups, I believe the only one of us around with an actual shop at the moment is JeepWerx, a former club member in Victor.  I\'m not sure he\'s accepting work at the moment though.

I\'ve done all my own so I have no shop suggestions, maybe others will chime in.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

NY4Runner

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 07:21:52 PM »
Thanks mr.mindless

I figured I would just tread with caution just incase it was a jeep club hah.

Thanks for the tip, It\'ll probably end up being a few weeks before I get the truck up here to ithaca, but yeah any other people out there, lemme know what you think.

i hear gear swaps are real tough and time consuming if you dont have the right stuff.

right now the 4runner has 4.10s and 35s with the 22re (2.4l 4cylinder) and its pretty gutless going up hills. im gonna end up ditching the 35s for either 32s or 33s so i can use it as a daily driver, but im gonna want to regear to 4.88 just to keep the low end pretty strong. the 4cylinder isnt exactly a speed demon to begin with haha

NY4Runner

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:25:03 PM »
by the way, i love those late 90s dakotas. they\'re a tough truck, and real aggressive looking too.

nice rig man

Offline etk300ex

• Club Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 12:29:37 PM »
You could also find 3rd members with the gears your looking for and bolt in.  What year runner?
06 Frontier 4x4
03 Ram CCLB 4x4
84 Viking truck camper
92 Toyota Truggy gone
Mountain bikes, it's cheaper and smaller

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 02:04:38 PM »
There is a guy in Seneca Falls who specializes in rears and gears.  He does EXCELLENT work.  He does most of the work in my area.  The only hook is that he doesn\'t want your vehicle in his yard, only the axle (or third member).

If you want his name and number, I can get it for you.

NY4Runner

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 05:33:26 PM »
Alright thats sick. Wingman, does he have reasonable prices? And decent turn around time? I\'d be able to go without a vehicle for about a week and a half but probably not more than 2 weeks, ya know? Thats really good news

etk300- I was thinking about finding junkyard 3rd members. It would be for an 84/85 4Runner. The stock gears I believe are still in there (4.10s).

I know that there are some 4.56 3rd members for 3.0 auto 4runners around (i think thats the ratio in that model), however I dont really know the tech stuff. Can you use 2 rear 3rd members instead of trying to find 1 rear and 1 front. sorry this might be a stupid question

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 04:19:11 AM »
I wouldn\'t say he\'s cheap but when you get it back, you can count on the workmanship 100%.  A lot of his work has been for the street rod and resto crowd.

His name is Gevo (315)568-9744.

NY4Runner

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 12:37:08 PM »
Thanks Wingman,

that helps a lot, i\'ll definitely give him a call when i\'m ready to regear. price is always a factor but nothing is better than 100% quality worksmanship.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2465.0;prev_next=next