http://www.4wd.com
Building my new yj

Author Topic: Building my new yj  (Read 14342 times)

keiffer79

Building my new yj
« on: November 07, 2010, 11:19:06 PM »
Well I now have two yj\'s and building one for trails.  First question of build and there will probably be plenty more to follow as I am not too knowledgable on jeeps yet.  What does everyone think of spring over?

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
Re: Building my new yj
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 09:54:14 PM »
AXLE WRAP is your enemy, and its much more pronounced with a SOA  (spring over axle) setup
This topic can create quite the debate among some people.

MY personal advice and experience is that a SUA (spring under axle) using Quality springs and a U-Bolt flip will work very well.

What did you buy?

85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:31:24 PM »
SOA is a more custom lift, where you will have to counter axle wrap.

SUA is a bolt-in lift that performs very well, the main draw back is the springs are more in the way vs. SOA. I run SUA and the spring clearance issues is not a big one for me, much easier to deal with than a custom track bar and geometries of a SOA. I have very good ($$$) springs, but they are completely worth it, you get what you pay for, and they flex like a mo-fo.

keiffer79

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 11:05:06 PM »
I got a 87 yj with a 350 and 350 turbo its lifted 9\" right now but I\'m gonna drop that. I\'d love to get a spring. Lift but funds r limited.  What if I welded on a triangle under the springs infront of the axles?

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 08:18:34 AM »
Good stock height springs SOA are the way to go IMO.

I like smooth axle tubes that drag over everything without issue. The axle wrap issue is much more concern with the skinny early CJ leaves than later wider springs. Smike and Paul both have firsthand experience with SOA.  
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 08:59:30 AM »
we did pauls CJ SOA lift in a long night for close to zero cost with what we had and what we cut off.

i did my scrambler twice SOA with 35\'s and 44\'s under it.  i dont recall any wrap issues with a tired I6 or a healthy V8.    I just ripped the frame apart.    

Erik, didnt your CJbuggy eat u joints and yokes a couple of times last year from axle wrap while it was spring under anyway?   :)

its all how you set it up and how its done.  i like the SOA with a little fabrication over a bolt on 400-800$ \"complete lift kit\"
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 09:13:43 AM »
Erik moved the center pins back 3\", that\'s why there was wrap.

Keith - do you have any pictures?

Maybe you could use smaller shackles to lower the Jeep an inch or two.

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 08:27:02 AM »
one tons and 39 boggers didnt have anything to do with that either on CJ leafs :)?

i think a traction bar is a very simple solution if you do have wrap issues.  or the \"triangle\" you spoke of i have seen work very well also.  a good size spring perch will help too.

soa is simple, cheap, and works great with a little planing and thought.
1997 ZJ 35's
48' enclosed trailer

Offline Ryan_25

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 08:51:43 AM »
We did the spring over on the Samurai in a night with a few guys helping. The most expensive part was the u-bolts, $10 each.

Steering can become an issue as well.

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 03:45:08 PM »
on pauls CJ we just took pipe and made a z bend drag link with the tube bender, the same thing i did with the scrambler on 35\"s

After paul started wheeling it harder we replaced it with 1.75\" 250 DOM with heims
1997 ZJ 35's
48' enclosed trailer

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 09:23:59 AM »
SOA - is a custom job - $
SUA - bolt on job - $$$

It all depends on your fabrication skills and wallet. If you don\'t want to spend a couple hundred bucks, but don\'t know how to do a SOA, maybe some of the guys in the club could help you.

for a SOA you need:

**(8) U-bolts - go to thru-way spring on Mt. Read on the west side of Rochester

**break lines - since this is already lifted, and assuming they installed longer break lines with the lift, you should be fine

**longer shocks, again, you probably have these already

**longer drive shafts, again, you probably have these already

**steering modifications - you can probably modify what was added with the lift, but without seeing it, I don\'t know, but you probably have a drop pitman arm. You can make steering components from scratch, YJ\'s are pretty simple and most of us have done so with our CJ\'s or other vehicles.

**new or used leaf springs - if you use the lift springs that are currently on the vehicle, and put these over the axles, you will gain 3\" more lift, which you don\'t want to do. Your best option is to find a set of stock springs. If you ask around you could probably find stock YJ springs. Also, you could post up on Rausch Creek in the parts wanted section.http://www.rc4x4.org/rcforum/index.php/board There is always someone from the club going to RC that probably wouldn\'t mind bringing a couple leaf packs home.

**new or home made shackles - you said this YJ is lifted 9\", it probably has some lift in the shackles. Again you could look for stock shackles, or make new ones. You can use the bushings from the other shackles (if you can get them out, and if they are in good shape). Otherwise, you can order a poly bushing kit from Quadratec and sell the other shackles, ebay, RC or here. Making new shackles is very easy, if you know how to weld, have good cutting tools and a drill press. You can get seel from Rochester Surplus:  http://www.rochestersteel.com/
If you decide to make your own, we can supply you with a shopping list :)

keiffer79

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 10:43:42 AM »
Thank u guys all this info is very helpful.  The lift was started by the previous owner but not finished he did the SOA and then put in 4 or5 inch square stock to jack it up more so those r coming out.  I will have to get a drop pitman, brake lines, drive shafts and so on because he did not get to far on the project.  

I\'m thinkin about get a set of old bronco axles because the guy destroyed the front axle tubes.  

Pics to come in a day or two

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 12:18:33 PM »
i would caution against the thruway spring ubolts, they are grade5 / ungraded and really arent that much cheaper than ordering real ubolts from say BDS.  I have used them a few times, an impact will shred them new if you arent carful.  

they are nice and convient though and local if you get into a jam.
1997 ZJ 35's
48' enclosed trailer

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 12:36:05 PM »
for break lines go classic tube  http://www.classictube.com/
They are located near Buffalo, but are an international company, their adds are usually in all the 4x4 mag\'s in the back.

Who is the drive shaft guy Keith (rockmod) knows?

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 01:26:07 PM »
not sure who keith knows, but mike has had really good shaft and machine work done by Vic at Ontario Engine and Machine.  great for custom stuff.

Fleetpride is local, will only do stock shafts / retubes.  I personally have never had issue with fleet pride, mike will beg differ :)
1997 ZJ 35's
48' enclosed trailer

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2172.0