http://www.m4wdfabrications.com/
Welder and other stuff

Author Topic: Welder and other stuff  (Read 17932 times)

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
Re: Welder and other stuff
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2010, 05:58:32 AM »
May it sell without a hitch!

JCJ

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 09:55:58 AM »
So far, so good on the sale. Inspection was yesterday, according to our agent nothing was found that scares them away.  No nickle and dime game, so we should be good..  but my fingers are still crossed.  thanks for the well wishes..

I guess I missed another meeting. somebody didn\'t email me to remind me.. :lol1:   My oldest is all concerned that we will get a bad rap for only showing up for the fun stuff..  He also want\'s to let Cora know her book is safe and sound.. we will make it to join sooner or later..

I\'m looking for recommendations from the crew on a 4x4 daily driver for the wife, 3rd vehicle for when the CJ dies on me. We need room for the 4 of us +2 dogs. Would also like to limit salt rot on her xi (why the hell did we get a AWD sedan that she doesn\'t want to drive in the snow?)

She\'s keen on a used Volvo X-Country, I don\'t wanna work on it or pay for parts.  My old man loves his non descript boring Xterra, consumer reports rates it great, decent towing capacity (5k I think).  I\'m leaning towards a Cherokee of some flavor, could nudge her into some light mods and wheeling action with it..

thoughts, suggestions?

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 11:50:24 AM »
I wheeled an Xterra for 7 years. I would buy a JK, and not an Xterra. I can tell you more later, got to get back to work.

Here is what my X used to look like......

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 11:51:20 AM »
I really enjoyed the Ford Edge.
VanBortel had some lease trade-ins and some loaded demos for great prices. AWD and tons of room.

Grand Cherokee is a good option as well. More options for parts upgrades, V8\'s, and mild wheeling. I\'m sold!

I know of a loaded 2008 with 24k miles that just sold for 23k.

Xterra is kinda tight for family of 4 and 2 dogs! Lol
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2010, 12:47:14 PM »
is your email updated on your account?  i usually send out a notice the day before a meeting to remind everyone...

572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

JCJ

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 01:44:07 PM »
It sure should have been, I re entered it just to be sure..

JCJ

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 12:02:26 PM »
Maybe a dumb question but that has never stopped me..

How much bigger is the interior of a Grand Cherokee compared to a regular Cherokee?  I\'m not a big fan of the looks of a stock Grand, kinda frumpy soccermom\'ish without tires and a little lift. We run a Thule capsule on the wife\'s 330xi so cargo room really isn\'t an issue beyond the dogs.

What years should I look for or run away from in the 5-8k price range?

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2010, 11:20:55 PM »
mike he is not a member yet?
will he get the email reminder?
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010, 08:28:33 AM »
Nope, not a member, and I think we\'ve just been sending the meeting reminders to actual paid club members.  I sent a message to all users last night and that takes a long while.... it only will chew on them 100 at a time.

[/hijack]
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

JCJ

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 10:28:42 PM »
Got the T-5 installed earlier this week, still need to sort out both drive shafts.  
The stock rear is OK, just needs new U-joints. Scott (bluecjeep) has a Tom Woods CV shaft that I think will fit. I haven\'t measured the pinion angle but it certainly looks like the pinion points directly at the output shaft.

The stock front is bent better than an inch, didn\'t bother installing it.  Scott has a Tom woods front but it\'s a short travel spline and I need a long travel for the shackle reversal.

Should I,

A) Buy them both and get the front shaft modified by Fleetpride or Ontario Drive Shaft for long travel if it\'s even possible and economically feasible?

B)Buy the rear and have FP or ODS make me a new front?

C)Replace the U-joints on the existing rear shaft and have FP or ODS make a new long travel front?

D) Order 2 new shafts from FP, ODS, Tom Woods or Dennys?

What say y\'all?

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2010, 05:47:50 PM »
Depends how deep your pockets are...

I think I\'d put new joints in the TW shaft and run it in the rear.  On the front, to go from short to long slip about all you get to reuse is one yoke.  Probably $50ish or a bit less.  The rest will all need to be new anyway.  I think that makes me suggest C.

OEM (not ODS) makes a really sick \"rock crusher\" shaft that is definitely what I\'d go for in a long slip application if I could cough up the money. http://www.ontarioengine.com/driveline_unbreakable.php

(thumbnails aren\'t showing now, but if you click the full size pic will load)
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

JCJ

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2010, 08:14:41 PM »
C it is,,  thanks for the advise, pockets are deep but not very full at the moment..

Scott\'s DS are both too long by a few inches,

Put new Spicers in my rear, will order a long travel front and get my rear modified for CV or change my pinion angle..

I\'ve got a slight vibration under decel that is new since changing the trans and spring/pinion shims.  My guess is that it\'s the trans but wishfully hoping it\'s just the pinion angle??

My oldest kid decided Friday that he was going to be the HS JV hockey goalie so I\'ve got a buttload of equipment to buy (because most of mine is too big for him) before I do much more on the CJ..    and OBTW dad, my first practice is Monday and I told them you could be the assistant coach..

It\'s a good thing I\'m trying to be retired, between the VFD and this hockey crap it doesn\'t look like I\'ll have much time to myself..

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2010, 09:53:17 AM »
Play it again sports, in henrietta.

JCJ

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2010, 10:36:17 AM »
Thanks Cora, we are actually headed there after school and then on to Perani\'s in Rochester.

We have a Play it Again here in Webster, they don\'t have much and what they do have is way over priced..  amateurs.. Hopefully the Henrietta store will be a little better.

Looks like I\'m off the hook for coaching, at least for now..

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2010, 05:33:27 PM »
I still have my gear from being a keeper back in the day at RIT. I can lend him my pads if you can\'t find a decent set this week. I think they are 31.\" I will have to take that Calatrava book and the promise of his first born as leverage :) But I think he is more your height than mine at 5\'6\". Skates - no fit, but I have a nice set of gloves he can borrow too. I really miss playing. Watch out coaching, you might get hooked again. I plan on playing after I graduate, not sure if I will play goalie or forward. Hockey is a great sport, he\'s a little old to be getting into it, but maybe he can just have fun playing and not the pressures of super-competitive hockey. I\'m totally looking forward to a beer league where the score doesn\'t matter anymore and there are no coaches screaming at you!

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2027.30