http://www.hahnauto.com/retail_locations_nuway.asp
Welder and other stuff

Author Topic: Welder and other stuff  (Read 18304 times)

JCJ

Welder and other stuff
« on: August 04, 2010, 08:39:33 AM »
I could use a rambling bloggy thread of my own...

I have finally ordered a welder, its a Lincoln Weld Pak 180 HD Wire Feed. I would rather have tig but I think a wire feed is more useful for the down and dirty Jeep stuff and I can always get a tig later..     So if anyone needs metal stuck together near Webster I should be set up and running early next week..  I accept IOU\'s and parts in trade, cash is not accepted

I have a hydraulic crimper so if anyone needs battery/winch cables made up we can do it..  I used 2/0 welding wire on mine and the thing crimps so tight that it fuses the wire together..  Overkill.. :-D   I don\'t have much in the way of supplies but if you pick up the wire and proper terminals I\'ll crimp for free..

I purchased a used motor from BlueCJeep, cleaning it up now for paint and new gaskets..  I\'ll hopefully be throwing it in this weekend..  

My kid step brother just bought a 92\' YJ so he should be joining us here and on the trails. I\'m actually kind of excited to work on it with him..

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
Re: Welder and other stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 11:18:29 AM »
Sound great, thanks for the offers. I might be taking  you up on making some custom battery cables. Moving my batteries behind my seats, and creating a quick disconnect system in order to help make hooking up my Ready Welder easier and fool proof.
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Camo1Ton

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 08:29:13 PM »
Hey JCJ, awesome that you are helping out your stepbrother. Bringing someone into the sport and showing by example is a no lose for OHVing. Good luck with Scott\'s engine(hes a good guy) and thanks for the offers.

JCJ

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 09:48:04 AM »
So how do you pronounce your screen name?  LOL,  

Anderson plugs work great for quick connects and whatnot.  Virtually no amp loss connection, cheap and dependable. The only weakness is some kinds of brake clean will ruin the plastic housing.  Very common in sedan racing for battery leads and in Indycar for 12v jumper battery and 48v starter cart connections.  http://www.andersonpower.com/products/multipole-connectors.html

Thanks Camo,  certainly gonna have some fun, between little brother, my wife and 2 kids who are all into Jeepy stuff.  Gonna be a blast.  

Scott sure is a great guy, I would bet he is missed out on the trails..

JCJ

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 09:20:19 AM »
The motor has been degreased, painted, resealed, installed and running strong..  Probably the best money I\'ve spent on the Jeep..  I hope to get started cleaning up some wiring today by adding some Weather-Pac connectors so I can remove some of the various sub harness easily.

My welder has been wired to use my heavy generator cord with it own dedicated outlet next to the main circuit breaker panel.  Just need to go get a gas bottle, I hate flux-core with a passion.. Any place better than Tractor Supply bottle exchange?

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 09:28:05 AM »
Rochester Welding may be cheaper, but it\'s pretty impossible to beat the flexibility of TSC especially if you have one close by.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline rejeep

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 09:37:02 AM »
I have a few boxes(25\') of 1 - 2 - 4 ga wire I appropriated from a store close...

Be happy to give you as much as you need...

Offline CoraC143

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 10:38:04 AM »
Erik and I prefer TS because we can go there on a weekend and after 5pm. The regular welding supply chains, Mahaney\'s, Jackson, Rochester welding, etc. have 9-5 hours. I\'ll pay for the convience of TS.

Offline ollllllo

• Club Member
    • http://www.jokineninc.com
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 12:33:32 PM »
Rochester welding in Farmington closes @ 4pm
I can\'t afford to take time off of work to exchange a tank of gas. TSC is simple and easy.

Just don\'t forget your cap on the big tanks! :)
85CJ7 Streetable
85CJ7 Buggy style
06 F350 Powerstroke
www.JokinenInc.com

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 03:07:17 PM »
i prefer to plan ahead and pay much less at jackson welding.  its also convienent for me to echange my propane tanks for the buggy and nitrogen tanks for airshocks all in one place with no questions asked.  

today i picked up a 108lbs of surplus steel at Rochester Surplus, and hit Jackson on the way home to swap my mig tank, and two new propane tanks i got off ebay for the first time in less than a lunch hour.  also picked up a few flap wheels, $3.90 they are the best price and product i have found anywhere.
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

JCJ

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 08:09:01 PM »

rejeep wrote:
I have a few boxes(25\') of 1 - 2 - 4 ga wire I appropriated from a store close...

Be happy to give you as much as you need...

Thank you, much appreciated..  
I think I\'m set at the moment for wire and whatnot, My last, short lived career was the Tool Warehouse Manager for a large electrical company in Indy, before that I ran the owners race team..  When he closed up the race shop I was given our entire inventory and had free rain of the electrical stuff at the warehouse..  

Thanks for the info on bottles..  I guess I need to price shop and see what the difference is.. TS nearest me is Ontario, not far but still a drive..

Gonna have to check out Rochester Surplus..  I need to get some 2x2 for a tire rack and some flat plate to fix the classic rot spot on my CJ frame..  And then maybe start working on a boat hoist..

bluecjeep

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 09:02:51 PM »
Hey John, i exchange my tanks at Danes welding on 104.  It is a little closer than TSC.  I never realized TSC had the tanks.  Danes is open on Saturdays but not evenings during the week.

JCJ

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 01:56:14 PM »

bluecjeep wrote:
Hey John, i exchange my tanks at Danes welding on 104.  It is a little closer than TSC.  I never realized TSC had the tanks.  Danes is open on Saturdays but not evenings during the week.

Thanks Scott, I\'ll give them a look..

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 06:25:29 PM »
I just campared notes on tank exchange prices between TSC and Rochester welding - more than twice the price for exchange and the initial cost is significantly more too. You pay for that 7 days a week convinience.  
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

JCJ

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 06:51:30 PM »

MrMindless wrote:
I just campared notes on tank exchange prices between TSC and Rochester welding - more than twice the price for exchange and the initial cost is significantly more too. You pay for that 7 days a week convinience.  

Thank you Sir, you can bet I\'ll find the time during the day to hit up RW or a similar type place.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=2027.0