TECHNICAL FORUMS > Product Reviews

Harbor freight 8K Electric Winch

(1/3) > >>

ollllllo:
A few years ago I planned a trip to rausch creek with 2 of my jeeps, and my uncle\'s mostly stock 97 TJ. I tought maybe a winch might be a good idea.
With no time and no money in the budget for a $1k (brand name) winch, I ran over to Harbor Freight and grabbed this one.

At the time I paid $399.00 for the winch, fairlead, solenoid, mounting plate, controller and 100ft 3/8\" cable with hook.
Today I see the price has been reduced to $299.00 and the cable is 5/16\" x 95ft.

This is in no way a fast winch.

The solenoid quit on the first one I bought, so HF exchanged it under warranty.
Note: $89.00 warranty is only good once.

This model winch has had mixed reviews from both magazine tests, and other club members. (I\'ll let them explain)
I have used it quite a bit, and have no major complaints other than line speed and it sounds like a dying animal. The replacement winch has been working fine for probably 3 years now.

I do plan to upgrade in the near future to a Warn, but for now it seems serve a purpose.

I recommend this winch for someone who is on a budget, and is willing to take the extra time to maintain it to prolong its life. In hind sight, I would save my money and do the research to purchase a brand / model that I know will last for a long time.

[color=00FF00]Rating: (1= dont waste the money, 10= Super deal)

I give this product a 5[/color]

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40764

smichaelR22:
good winch for the money.  i got the 10K for 379 out the door with a coupon. just dont dunk them under water- greatly shortens the life.  mine lasted about 2 years with a few revives of pulling magnet bits out of the housing.  

id also give it a 5  

CoraC143:
mine lasted a year, maybe 8 uses, but I had the old style. the newer ones aren\'t as bad.

I give it a 3, probably because I owned a Warn before, much quicker and more reliable.

smichaelR22:
waiting to see how my 39$ suck down 2K winch works out on the back of the buggy.  i really like the internals of the handhelds switch, and plan to mount it in the dash

CoraC143:
Same winch as my suck downs? Camo green color? One of mine blew up, and the remote has a delay. Erik hard wired switches (which was not easy).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version