http://www.treadlightly.org/
need a lift...

Author Topic: need a lift...  (Read 16581 times)

Offline rejeep

Re: need a lift...
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 05:04:31 AM »
Wish I chimed in earlier...
I don?t want to play Monday morning QB...
But two comments...
1st.  Absolutely correct choice by NOT going Spring over... we can start a new thread or disscuss why I feel this way... but they are not cheap if you do them correct..
2nd. Budget is always an issue, but you get what you pay for... RC lifts are decent, but not great... you will end up buying twice when you start off with something like that.
IMHO of course....

smoser1122

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 07:09:52 AM »
Thanks for the monday morning quarterback, LOL! I read all the reviews online that i could, and the overall view of everyone is that is is a good lift for the money thats why I bought it. i read reviews on others and people were having the same problems as they had with this lift. Hinesight is 20/20. I did follow the recomendation to buy the upgraded shocks and from what I gather, that was a huge issue for people. Thanks for the advice on the shackles, I wont put them on yet. I am glad I decided to go with a bolt on too rather than a SOA. Anyone have 33\'s on rims for sale that are in good condition? I need a really good price though, I am almost tapped. If not my 30\'s will do for now.

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 08:33:42 AM »
i have done 3 SOA\'s with minimal cost and effort without issue.  

pros and cons of both of course.  For a wheeler rig on a budget.  Tired Flexy YJ springs would have been the way i would have went.  

Alot of people quickly say there should have never been a rig built with SUA and that its completly pointless and stupid.  Howerever, i like my SUA skyjacker springs and they work well on the CJ.  My spring plates and ubolts hold me back alot.  

+1 on the longer shackle comment- they can do werid things to steering, yet somtimes are necessary to prevent buckling/jaming.  every rig is different.

good luck!
572 single seat race buggy
573 Brolite '97 Ranger, '96 backup ranger
1997 ZJ 35's
2014 Ram 4500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4
48' enclosed trailer

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 09:01:18 AM »

smichaelR22 wrote:

Alot of people quickly say there should have never been a rig built with SUA and that its completly pointless and stupid.

:raises hand:
I\'d be one of those people.
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 09:11:02 AM »
ya i put that in just for you mike.  how many SUA and SOA rigs have you wheeled / street driven by the way?

(only half being sarcastic, because i really dont know)
1997 ZJ 35's
48' enclosed trailer

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 09:14:46 AM »
street driven SOA fullsize Ford pickups.

never wheeled anything with those straight springy things in front.

never driven anything SUA because nothing ever should be, it\'s the wrong place for springs ;-)  (actually, maybe Kevins Explorer in the rear?  and a couple trailers. but never anything in front.)
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp
'87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Offline smichaelR22

• Club Member
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 09:44:10 AM »
o ok, just making sure you didnt have any actual experience other than web wheeling SOA rigs.
1997 ZJ 35's
48' enclosed trailer

meangreen

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 06:44:10 PM »
greece only sucks because I have a very nosey neighbor that thinks That I run a busness out of my house (I do not) and they are constantly calling the town on my jeep That is 100% legal (sticker and plates) but some time its not in on piece but the idiot that comes out to see if there is a violation can not see with his own eyes that there is a plate and a sticker on it and has tried at least 3 times to take me to greece town court because of it. Last time he showed up I was accually at home and gave him a piece of my mind and told him that if he did not stop I would be taking to a lawyer and starting a harrasment case aganst him, the town and the complantant. since then I have not here a peep from anyone for about 3 years. but I still think that greese is just a little to crowded and as soon as I know that my job is safe I will start looking for another house that has some land and a shop so I don\'t have to leave my jeep out side so anyone can see it.

I will now get off my rant and go on with the lift question

I like my lift kit I never had a major issue with the stock shocks (from the kit) but I really only use it on the trail. it will be stiff for a little while and you will feel every ant you run over but it will settle after about a year (especally if to start flexing it when you can) Good luck

smoser1122

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 07:37:45 AM »
hey, just so I know. What am I looking for to know if I should put the shackles on?

On the whole SUA and SOA debate, I have read up on all the pro\'s and con\'s of both and think for the little bit of wheelin I do, This was my best choice. This Jeep is my daily driver and am in it 2 hours a day, just in my commute. I am not an extreme rock guy, so I dont need the big articulation, I just like to play in the mud.

If anyone wants to come over and help out on Monday night, I will be wrenching into the night. I\'ll buy the beer.  :pint:

Offline GTJake

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 04:42:12 AM »
i put a rough country 4\" on my YJ as well. good product.

smoser1122

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 04:16:20 PM »
I am stuck on my prodject for now. :-( I cant free any of the bolts. I am very frustrated. I got myself into more than my tools can handle. I will update you guys when I get my hands on some acedeline torches, that is when the prodject will resume. :fire:  :hammer:

Offline Ryan_25

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 05:21:50 PM »
You will need to cut the spring bolts with a cutting wheel or sawzall. The rust to the inside bushing and will not come out.

smoser1122

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 07:21:59 AM »
I ahve a cutting wheel it is just not big enough to get in there to cut through. Looks like I get a new toy in the shape of a sawzall!!! :lol2:

smoser1122

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 06:29:49 PM »
I found an old set of torches at my fathers house today. :-D

I am hoping they are not clogged, I will find out tomorrow when I pick up the bottles of gas. I am stoked. Would love to get this done sometime this century (before the 19th for W.P.)!!!

Question: Do you know if I need a pittman arm puller for my YJ?
Also, How easy is it to drop the transfer case?

I could any advice in these two areas.

Offline gCracker

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 07:00:44 PM »
Pitman arms can be extremely tough to get off, even with a puller.

By \"drop the transfer case\" I assume you mean install the spacers.  You should just be able to put your jack under the skid plate, remove the bolts on one side, hoping the nut welded inside the frame does come loose, drop the jack a bit, slide the spacer(s) in and then install new/longer bolts.  Then repeat for the other side.

test block /modules/smf/index.php?topic=1235.15