Author Topic: Jeep Wrangler TJ seatbelt fix  (Read 11221 times)

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
Jeep Wrangler TJ seatbelt fix
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:22:28 PM »
This may also apply to other models in the Jeep lineup.  This procedure was done on a 2003 Jeep Wrangler.

Recently, I've noticed that my passenger side front seatbelt has been acting up.  It would allow retraction but not release.  Finally, it got bad enough where it was no longer usable.  It wouldn't release for anyone to even use it.  After pulling and jerking on the belt in frustration for an hour to get it to release, it was time to see what the cause of this malfunction was. 

I was hoping that I could fix it and avoid the cost of a new belt assembly.  And if nothing else in this write-up helps you, at least the pictures will show how the mechanism works.

This is what my passenger side seatbelt looks like.

The black cover was easier to remove than I anticipated.  I think a small retaining clip had already been broken.

Inside the red plastic "cup" is a steel ball bearing.  If the seatbelt unit is off kilter in any direction, it pushes the purple lever up activating the locking mechanism.

I found that a very small amount of dirt/debris had collected in the bottom of this red cup not allowing to ball bearing to return to "station".  It wouldn't take much at all.  I took my air gun to it and blew out whatever debris had collected.  This allowed that ball bearing to operate properly.

I tested it and popped that black cover back on the assembly.  Go-to-go!

On a side note, when I performed this procedure, I pulled the whole assembly off the roll bar.  I discovered that there is a drain hole in the bottom of the red cup.  It is very small, as in, a grain of sand would stop it up.  If you've been submersed or exposed to the elements, yours may require further dis-assembly to return it to fully operational.  I've also read that Jeep warranties seatbelts forever but have not personally checked into that.

Oddly enough, the driver's side is much different.  I performed a similar procedure but it seems like it wouldn't be as sensitive to dirt and debris.  In it's case, the ball is on top of a pendulum and the metal ring activates the green lever locking mechanism.  Pictures below for your viewing pleasure.  ;D

If you do have to remove either side, there is only one bolt to remove.  Note the "T" slot retainer.  After you remove the bolt, slide up and the unit will be free.

As always, use anti-seize compound on the bolt.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:44:16 AM by Wingman »

Offline MrMindless

• Administrator
Jeep Wrangler TJ seatbelt fix
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 07:27:53 AM »
Interesting. Good simple tech, thanks!
Michael Maskalans
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
High Miler: 07.5 Ram 6.7 6sp 4x2, ARB, 19.5s
2003 R'Audi Allroad 6sp
Road Block: 98 Dakota 203/205 triple stick, 42" SXs
Dumpbus: 97 Ram 24v P-pumped, RoadRanger 13sp